Thursday, December 16, 2004

You're Not Anonymous on the Web

So, recently, I signed up for a service that tracks visitors to my website. It's amazing what information is revealed when you go to web page. What's even more amazing is how much information you can get for free! Take for example this:



It tells me that this person is from Sacramento, that they're using a Mac running Internet Explorer, the search terms he/she used on Google and even their IP address. It doesn't show here but I can also identify specific users, how often he/she has come to the page and what pages they've looked at and how long they've stayed at the page! And with their IP address, if I really wanted to, I could try to attack that machine. I'm sure that even more malicious trackers would try to steal more information from that computer.

Amazing! So, be aware of what you're leaving around... especially if you're on a public computer at the library because someone could have installed software to steal your passwords, banking information and God knows what elseā€¦ and if you should be abusing your Internet access privileges, I know who you are and if you're naughty or nice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home